Assalamo Alaikum! Dear Reader! Are you looking for an easy guide to Dua e istikhara?
As an Islamic scholar, I understand the importance of seeking guidance from Allah for any decision. I will provide the best assistance about how to pray istikhara with an easy, step-by-step guide.
What is Dua e Istikhara?
Dua is an Arabic word that means “Pray to God,” while “Istikhara” comes from the word ‘Khayr (خیر)‘ which means good or goodness in Arabic. Therefore, it can be interpreted as ‘The Prayer for Seeking the Best.’ It’s a prayer that Muslims make to request suggestions from Allah (God).
Importance of Istikhara Prayer
Dua e istikhara is a powerful tool to help Muslims make the best possible decisions. Allah (SWT) may answer this prayer in different ways. For example, He may feel peace and confidence about a decision. He may also provide istikhara signs or guidance that help to solve the confusion.
Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) describes to us the importance of istikhara.
- Follow Sunnah: When we perform istikhara, we follow Prophet Muhammad’s (PBUH) teachings.
- Faith: Istikhara is an excellent way to get closer to Allah. By doing Istikhara, we accept that there is no power but God.
- Safety: When you do Istikhara, Allah gives you good luck and keeps you safe. If something terrible happens, doing Istikhara can help protect you.
How to perform Istikhara Dua 5 Easy steps
1. Performing Wudu (Ablution)
Being neat and clean in Islam is essential, both outside and inside. Before you pray, like the Istikhara prayer, you need to do a cleaning called Wudu.
Here’s how you do Wudu for the Istikhara prayer:
- Begin with Bismillah
- Wash the Hands
- Rinse the Mouth
- Cleanse the Nose
- Wash the Face
- Wash the Forearms
- Wipe the Head
- Clean the Ears
- Wash the Feet
- Recite the Shahada
2. Prepare your prayer area
Creating a proper setting for prayer is essential to achieving a spiritual mindset. Before performing an istikhara, ensure your prayer area is clean and quiet.
- Select a Quiet and Clean Space
- Clean the Area
- Use a Prayer Mat
- Create a Peaceful Atmosphere
- Dress Appropriately
- Ensure You’re in a State of Purity
3. Intention (Niyyah)
4. Performing Namaz for Istikhara
The Salah (Namaz) performed for Istikhara is a two-rakat (unit) prayer. It is followed by a specific Dua seeking Allah’s guidance. Here’s a detailed guide on completing the Salah for Istikhara.
- Start with the Takbeer: Takbeer is the first step of the Istikhara Prayer. Up your hand to your ears and then say “Allahu Akbar” (Allah is the Greatest).
- Recite the Opening Dua: Recite the opening supplication (Dua Al Istiftah). “Subhanaka Allahumma wa bihamdika, wa tabarakasmuka wa ta’ala jadduka, wa la ilaha ghairuk”.
- Recite Surah Al-Fatiha: After the opening dua, recite Surah Al-Fatiha, the first chapter of the Quran. It’s an important part of the prayer and must be recited in every Rakat.
- Recite Another Surah: After Al-Fatiha, you can recite any other Surah or verses from the Quran. Reciting Surah Al-Kafirun in the first rakat and Surah Al-Ikhlas in the second is good.
- Perform Ruku and Sujood: After the recitation, say “Allahu Akbar,” go into Ruku, then stand up. After standing, say “Allahu Akbar” and move into Sujood (prostration). Repeat the Sujood once more.
- Rise for the Second Rakat: After the two prostrations, stand up for the second Rakat and repeat steps 4 to 6. The only difference is the Surah or verses chosen to recite after Al-Fatiha.
- Tashahhud: After the second Sujood in the second rakat, recite the Tashahhud. “At-tahiyyatu lillahi was-salawatu wat-tayyibatu…”
- End the Salah with the Tasleem: To end the Salah, turn your head to the right and say, “As-salaam alaikum wa rahmatullah,”
5. Reciting The Istikhara Dua
After completing the Salah, recite the Istikhara dua, seeking Allah’s guidance for your decision.
Istikhara Dua in Arabic
اَللّٰہُمَّ اِنِّیْ أَسْتَخِیْرُکَ بِعِلْمِکَ ، وَ أَسْتَقْدِرُکَ بِقُدْرَتِکَ، وَ أَسْأَلُکَ مِنْ فَضْلِکَ الْعَظِیْمِ ، فَاِنَّکَ تَقْدِرُ وَ لاَ أَقْدِرُ، وَ تَعْلَمُ وَلاَ أَعْلَمُ ، وَ أَنْتَ عَلاَّمُ الْغُیُوْبِ ․اَللّٰہُمَّ اِنْ کُنْتَ تَعْلَمُ أَنَّ ہٰذَا الْأَمْرَ خَیْرٌ لِّیْ فِیْ دِیْنِیْ وَ مَعَاشِیْ وَ عَاقِبَةِ أَمْرِیْ وَ عَاجِلِہ وَ اٰجِلِہ ، فَاقْدِرْہُ لِیْ ، وَ یَسِّرْہُ لِیْ ، ثُمَّ بَارِکْ لِیْ فِیْہِ ․وَ اِنْ کُنْتَ تَعْلَمُ أَنَّ ھٰذَا الْأَمْرَ شَرٌ لِّیْ فِیْ دِیْنِیْ وَمَعَاشِیْ وَ عَاقِبَةِ أَمْرِیْ وَ عَاجِلِہ وَ اٰجِلِہ ، فَاصْرِفْہُ عَنِّیْ وَاصْرِفْنِیْ عَنْہُ ، وَاقْدِرْ لِیَ الْخَیْرَ حَیْثُ کَانَ ثُمَّ اَرْضِنِیْ بِہ․
Dua e Istikhara with English Translation:
“O Allah, I seek Your guidance by virtue of Your knowledge, and I seek ability by virtue of Your power, and I ask You from Your immense bounty. For indeed, You have power, and I do not have power. You know, and I do not know, and You are the Knower of the unseen. O Allah, if You know that this matter is good for me with regard to my religion, my livelihood, and the end of my affair, then decree it for me, make it easy for me, and then bless it for me. And if You know that this matter is bad for my religion, my livelihood, and the end of my affair, then turn it away from me and turn me away from it. And decree for me goodness wherever it may be, and then make me pleased with it.” Sahih al-Bukhari 1166
Istikhara dua in urdu
The purpose of Istikhara is to seek guidance from Allah. It can be recited in Arabic or Urdu.
Istikhara karne ka tarika (Urdu)
What to Do After Istikhara
After performing Istikhara, understanding and acting on its results is the next crucial step. Here’s a comprehensive guide on how to navigate post-Istikhara.
Understanding Istikhara’s Purpose
Salat istikhara for divine guidance, not a request for a miracle or sign. n. Its purpose is to ask Allah, who possesses all knowledge and wisdom, to guide you toward the best decision.
Interpreting Results of Istikhara
After doing Istikhara, it’s sometimes about something other than seeing clear signs or having dreams. Instead, focus on how you feel about your decision in the next few days.
- Feeling Peaceful: If you feel calm and more sure about a decision, this might mean it’s the right choice for you.
- Feeling Doubtful: If you’re feeling uneasy or keep doubting the decision, it might be a sign to think about other options.
Acting on the Results
- Acting on What You Feel: Don’t just go by feelings alone. Think about the practical side of things and how they fit with Islamic teachings.
- Go Ahead: If you’re feeling good about the decision, go for it! And always ask Allah to help you along the way.
- Think Again: If you need more time, step back. Think about other choices or wait for a bit. Sometimes, the reason for these feelings becomes clearer later on.
- Always Be Grateful. No matter what happens, always thank Allah for guiding you. Trust in His plan. Sometimes, even if things seem harsh, there could be hidden good things or important lessons waiting for you.
- Gratitude and Trust in Allah: Regardless of the outcome, express gratitude to Allah for His guidance. Maintain trust in His wisdom, and know that even if a decision seems challenging, there may be hidden blessings or lessons.
Istikhara ki Dua Translation in Urdu
Short istikhara dua
The short Istikhara dua is a distilled version of the more extended prayer but carries the same weight and intention.
Short Dua #1
اللَّهمَّ خِرْ لي، واختَرْ لي
“O Allah, grant me goodness and choose for me.”
Jami` at-Tirmidhi 3516
Even though it’s a short dua, it shows an excellent desire for guidance and the best outcomes.
Short Dua #2
۔اَللّٰھُمَّ اھْدِنِیْ وَسَدِّدْنِیْ․(صحیح مسلم)
O ALLAH, PLEASE GUIDE ME RIGHTLY AND KEEP ME ON THE STRAIGHT PATH.
Short Dua #3
۔اَللّٰہُمَ اَلْھِمْنِیْ رُشْدِیْ۔ (ترمذی)
O ALLAH, INDICATE THE BEST OPTION AND RIGHT PATH TO MY HEART.
Dua e istikhara for marriage
Choosing a life partner is one of the most important decisions you will ever make. A strong union of two souls requires attention and care. Before making an important decision, it’s sensible to seek divine guidance.
- Seeking Clarity: When faced with choices, we may often be unsure of the right decision. Istikhara helps us find the path aligned with Allah’s will.
- Ensuring Contentment: When you are satisfied with a decision, it brings a sense of stability to your heart. We are searching for the right decision, and inner peace comes with that decision.
Why do the Istikhara Dua before getting married?
Thinking about marriage is a big deal. If you’re unsure, Istikhara helps you ask Allah for guidance on making the right choice.
Steps for Istikhara Before Marriage:
- Set Your Goal: Before you start the Istikhara prayer, be sure that you’re asking Allah to guide you about marriage.
- Do the Prayer: Pray two special Rak’ahs, thinking about your marriage choice.
- Perform Istikhara Prayer: After your two Rak’ahs, perfrom istikhara prayer, and remember your marriage decision.
- Know the Answer: Once you’ve done the Istikhara for marriage, you might feel more peaceful or sure about your choice. This could mean your decision matches what Allah thinks is best for you.
Istikhara for studying abroad
Thinking of studying in another country? It’s a big step that can change your life and career. The Istikhara prayer can help you ask Allah for advice if you’re Muslim.
How to Perform Istikhara for Studying Abroad
- Know Why You’re Praying: Before you start, ask Allah if studying abroad is right for you.
- Do the Prayer: Just like the regular Istikhara, but keep your thoughts on studying overseas.
- Understand the Answer: After praying, if you feel good or peaceful about your choice, it might be what Allah thinks is best.
Istikhara ki dua for studying abroad
رَبَّنَا آتِنَا مِنْ لَدُنْكَ رَحْمَةً وَهَيِّئْ لَنَا مِنْ أَمْرِنَا رَشَدًا
Translation : O OUR LORD! GRANT US MERCY FROM YOU AND MAKE IT EASY FOR US IN OUR WOR
Q1. How long should I wait for istikhara results?
Ans: The time may vary. Some people receive advice almost immediately, while others may take time.
Q2. Can I act Istikhara on behalf of someone else?
Ans: It is permissible to perform Istikhara for someone else, although it is more commonly done for oneself.
Q3. Can istikhara be done anytime?
Ans: “Yes!” While there are preferred times like after obligatory prayers, the beauty of this Dua is its flexibility.
Q4. What do you recite during Istikhara Dua?
Ans: When performing the Istikhara dua, it’s not just about reciting the specific Dua. It’s also about having pure intention, being patient with Allah’s guidance, and trusting in Him.
Q5. When can you not read Istikhara’s prayer?
Ans: While it’s generally open for any situation, there are times when it may be better.
Dua e Istikhara is a powerful yet simple tool that offers a path to divine guidance in our life decisions. Its origins are deeply rooted in Islamic tradition. The benefits, both spiritual and psychological, are manifold and can provide the comfort and assurance needed in stressful times.